Thursday, January 06, 2005

Sleeping on My Back

Holidays are over and the New Year resolution breaking season has just begun. My New Year's resolution is to sleep on my back instead of my stomach. This is my way of convincing myself that I can break habits, even habits established at childhood.

Mary and Alan invited me for Thanksgiving, where newborn Julia Carlile was the guest of honor. For Christmas, I visited John at Indianola, Ellie and Rolland at Des Moines, Dad at West Moines, Donna's family at Farmington, and a couple Twin Cities friends. Everyone treated me as if my visit was special, even though I keep saying I will soon be traveling and will visit again soon.

The latest news is that my house may actually be sold. I sign more papers tomorrow and may actually close on Tuesday. Assuming that this happens, my possessions will go to storage and to friends. Then, I will visit Japan or Korea to take advantage of low fares. Then, I'll travel around the U.S. for a while. I keep saying that I won't get a permanent place to live for at least six months to a year, and that's still the plan. I like the Bay Area and may actually purchase another residence here once I finish traveling. Nonetheless, I don't feel it makes sense to hang on to my three bedroom house.

Personal highlights for 2004 revolved around KALX, where I hosted a talk show most Thursdays, and interviewed people including Mark Fiore, Daniel Ellsberg, Peter Phillips, Mark Danner (see today's NY Times), Danny Schechter and David Cobb. When I travel this year, I plan to continue to interview for KALX. I also chair the local American Society for Quality section, but do not miss my previous career.

Life isn't living unless something is changing. Here's to sleeping a new way.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home