Wednesday, May 18, 2005

Tokugawa Art Museum

Yahoo! is offering free Internet time next to Central Park. So, I post today to give Aunt Ellen something to read.


Tokugawa Art Museum is a tourist attraction in Nagoya. I ask for information and am told, "Platform 3". A fifty year old woman asks where I am going and helps me get off at the correct stop. She shows me a notebook and tells me that she is studying English. While sitting next to her, I notice the smell of the mildew from my improperly dried clothes.

The museum owns a copy of famous Genji scrolls from the 1200s. I see copies, since the originals are too valuable to display. There are also swords and theater costumes. It is a small museum, more quality than quantity, so I tour it two and a half times. A Japanese Garden outside seems equally nice to me, even in the light rain. I see waterfalls, rocks, a flamingo, and beautifully arranged plants. I read from my book. (The book is called "Skinnydip". The book has lots of references to the movie "Fargo", so the author must hope that the Coen Brothers turn it into a movie.)


Yesterday afternoon, I went to my capsule to relax, and turned on the TV. Nightline was being translated into Japanese. They were showing a story about the alleged Qu`ran flushing. I could understand Chris Bury speaking English in the background. The previous night, I watched "Nine Months", a bad Hugh Grant movie, with Japanese subtitles. The other channels in the capsule displayed drama, Sumo, baseball, and pixelated sex.

Sex is very open here. When I read the floor guide of tall buildings, I generally find a floor occupied by "Angels of Love" or the like. I wonder how women in Nagoya, who are uniformly fit, attractive and well-dressed, feel about this.


Tonight, I am in a dormitory style Youth Hostel. I hope to meet people from outside of Japan. I liked the Capsules, which are designed so that Japanese men can relax. But, for me, it was not a social place.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home