Sunday, January 09, 2005

Alias Supernova

The house did sell, and I move out on Tuesday or maybe Wednesday. Then, I'm planning world travel, to be determined. Friends have offered to take most of the bulky stuff that I was most worried about, so my remaining household items should actually fit in storage. I'm still seeking a temporary home for a futon, a desk, two dressers and two waterbeds. This note is my way of postponing packing, to the last possible minute.

Of larger concern: Supernova, my cat. What do I do with him when I travel?

When I've gone for shorter trips, I've tried different things. First, I asked my neighbor, Mary, look in on him. But, that didn't work well, as he hated staying in the house, and made a mess. Next, I left him outside and asked Mary to feed him. That didn't work well, as he never came around to be fed.

More recently, I learned from another neighbor, Ben, that my cat has an alter ego as "Buttercup" and that an older lady takes care of him. No wonder, I've sometimes not seem for a week at a time!

Thinking that I should talk to the owner of "Buttercup," I asked Mary where she lived. Mary directed me to Lindy, who lives on the next block, and who feeds all the neighborhood cats. Cat food was on the porch next to six cat beds. I told Lindy of my plans, and she was happy to look after Supernova. Not only that, it appeared she already took care of Supernova!

In our conversation, I learned that Supernova jumps through her open window and uses her litter box each day. (Long ago, I got rid of my litterbox, after deciding he must prefer to go outside.) Supernova also stops by everyday at feeding time. (He always has a strong appetite at my house, also.) I also learned that Lindy calls him "Ringer," for the ring around his tail. Lindy notices that Supernova often sleeps on the porch of a house across her street. Perhaps, this is where "Buttercup" stays, or maybe Supernova has yet another alter ego.

Supernova will do fine while I travel, though I look forward to relocating my very nice cat in six months to a year. I hope he doesn't mind too much and enjoys the postcards that Lindy reads to him.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home