Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Just Turn Right

Monica claims that I am more nervous than her. She manages the wedding well by sending the church ladies to me, with their questions about table preparation and punch recipes. When Monica sends me to tell them what to do, I go downstairs or give them a phone call. Invariably,the church ladies tell me that everything is under control and ask me to go away.

At the rehearsal, Greg, the minister, tells us that no matter what happens, it will be right. No matter how many mistakes we make, he will sign the marraige certificate.

I have business cards for Joe’s Crab Shack, where we will have our rehearsal dinner. I have given them to Joni, but now I feel like I need to pass them out myself. Joni passes them out without me saying a word. Does this mean I am nervous?

Photos relayed by Alan Burnham indicate that the rehearsal dinner was enjoyed. Left to my own devices, I might have suggested a more formal steak place. But, this is more fun, and we have the “party room” to ourselves. We mix and mingle. Afterward, we go to Days Inn where our families hang out by the pool. It is not so often that we see our family.

The morning of my wedding, I walk to the Days Inn, while Monica has her hair done. I sit alone by the pool, since all of the others have left for breakfast. Monica calls, so I pick up the sweater that she left at Salon Elise. Does this mean she is nervous?

Jerome drives us to the church. I set up the video camera. I help carry down the reception food. I talk to the church ladies. “Go away,” they tell me.

I struggle with my cufflinks. I put on my rented coral vest and tie. I try to get my hair to behave. Elise had ironed it back three days ago and given me a style that I had never had, nor ever wanted. Why didn’t she listen when I asked her to just trim it? My fault, though. She asked if she could do anything when I picked up Monica’s sweater this morning. (Photos indicate that my hair was fine, except for at the cake cutting.)

Most everyone is seated in the church. In the lobby, I talk to Michael, the photographer. Greg approaches me and we stand. Bells ring and we take our positions. I look at the people and count them. I do this again. We will have plenty of food for the reception.

Jerome walks Monica down the aisle. She is beautiful in her handmade dress and salon primped hair. Jerome hands Monica to me. The organ plays. The minister speaks. We remember our lines. We walk down the aisle together, then circle around downstairs, come in the side entrance, greet each guest and dismiss each pew. I tell Ray that I hadn’t seen him. He tells me that he watched me look straight at him. Ray was correct. I remembered him there. I still must be nervous.

Michael photographs us, as guests mill about and go downstairs. Several cameras go off at once. Photographs indicate that we are extremely happy. All I have to do to get an authentic smile is to turn to my right.

Monica has dreamed that all of the food will be gone before she gets a chance to eat it. Her dream may be coming true, as all of the tables are taken. The church ladies tell us that no one requested a head table. But, one soon appears. We go through the food line and others follow. One of Monica’s relatives cuts our cake. We feed each other. From our table facing all of our guests, I make an announcement. “The cake is ready, everybody.” Monica tells me softly, “Let them eat cake.” Later, cups ring. I finally have my cue to kiss the bride.

We hang around and talk to everyone. We load Jerome’s car. We are the last to leave.

Since the tux is due by 6 p.m. today or after 11 a.m. tomorrow, we decide to return it. We drop off Michael’s photo CD at the neighboring National Camera exchange. We drop off cake parts in Cottage Grove.

At the Day’s Inn, there is an emergency for me. The bar has forgotten that our friends have been allowed to play music. A call is made, and they remember. Eventually, the band finds a sound system.

Jeff sings blues, like I didn’t know he could. Cave Man mumbles through “Alcohol, Jesus, and Death,” afraid to offend our families. Bill sings a Hank Williams tune. John stays awake for “Hot Rod Lincoln”. Ric does a solo set. Monica and I dance to “My Girl”. Monica and Jerome dance to one of Larry’s songs. Jeff does a M.C. comic routine. George and Marie buy us a bottle of champagne, and give us travel tips. Monica and I sleep as man and wife in Room 148. We will leave for a honeymoon in the morning.

I am a happily married man. All I have to do is turn to my right.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home