Monday, September 01, 2008

A Day at the RNC

I made it to downtown Saint Paul. We saw a guy get tackled and cuffed. It was unclear why. Someone suggested he might have been carrying an orange toy gun. We saw anarchists with wearing kerchiefs and black. Is there really such a thing as anarchists or is some type of conspiracy going on? We saw broken glass on a police car and broken glass at Macy's. Okay, something happened downtown which may or may not have justified halting bus service to the area.

I saw Scott Ritter, UN Weapons inspector, 1998, and Ray McGovern, Intelligence Professionals for Sanity, at the Lowrie theater. They warned of an impending Israeli war against Iran, and suggested the United States policies forced Russia's hand in the recent war started by Georgia. I have long been impressed by McGovern, as he spoke out against the lies that started the Iraq War, before the Iraq War.

Tonight, Ritter impressed me more. Answering liberal questions such as "the United States should cut consumption, right?" or "the United Stated should put an anti-aggression pact in our constitution if we want it to be as good as Japan and Germany, right?", Ritter gave what I consider to be a uniting answer rather than what the activists wanted to hear.

"How many people here have read the constitution?" (All of us.) "How many of you are confident you would get 80% on a test of the Constitution?" (A few of us.) "I go to high schools and 90% know nothing about the constitution. If we want our country to function, we have to learn it. It is the law of our land. This is the first step if we want to accomplish anything."

McGovern spent years trying to figure out how 69 years ago, Germany invaded Poland. "How does a well educated country go down that path? What is different about Germany then and the United States now?" A key element (hopefully) is a belief in a quote from Thomas Paine's "Common Sense." "I believe in the equality of man; and I believe that religious duties consist in doing justice, loving mercy, and endeavoring to make our fellow-creatures happy."

His quote from Haushofer, who had been required to confess prior to his execution by the Nazis was also inspired:

I am guilty,
But not in the way you think.
I should have earlier recognized my duty;
I should have more sharply called evil evil;
I reined in my judgment too long.
I did warn,
But not enough, and clear;
And today I know what I was guilty of.

Ritter and MGovern: 2006.

Labels: