Friday, March 28, 2014

The 2014 Fantasy Baseball Drafts have Proceeded... and two games are played

The 2014 drafts are in the books. A couple of games have even been played. So, here is who I drafted and the drama therein.

YAHOO Adho Muhka Svanasana
http://baseball.fantasysports.yahoo.com/b1/27284/1
This was a second place team and it brought some solid keepers. Four of the seven are Cardinals-- Wacha, SP ($6), Rosenthal, RP ($6), Craig, 1B/OF ($11) and Carpenter, 2B/3B ($9). The remainder are Chris Sale, SP ($11), Wil Myers, OF ($6) and Billy Hamilton, OF ($6).

The draft strategy assumed that Billy Hamilton would take care of the steals, so power was prioritized. Pujols, Trumbo, Beltran and Votto are the core of this power. Why not Stanton, Cabrera, Bautista or Lawrie? My computer wasn't set up with Flash, so I joined the draft ten players in. Though I would have advanced the bidding on each of these players, it is probably good to mix it up a bit and try out some new players.

The gambits? Javier Baez, SS @$1. ZIPS projected him to lead SS in HR. Brad Miller will be SS so long as Javier is hitting minor league HRs. I also went for Yordano Ventura and his 100 mph fastball. He had been named Royals fifth starter but had yet to receive the fantasy buzz that makes him 23% drafted. Questionably, I left $30 on the table.

Results to date: 1st place, 100.5 pts based on 2 games. Ryu- W, Trumbo- HR

OTTONEU Yakking Muggers
This is a full keeper league, but I dropped players prior to the draft to leave 17 roster positions open. One of my league-mates wanted Brad Miller and gave me Ryan Zimmerman and Jhonny Peralta and cash in exchange, so this is a league with lots of activity. Heyward, Tanaka, Cespedes and Sandoval were my highest dollar picks in the draft. I ended up with five closers since no one would outbid $8 for them.

The draft strategy was to get a good 3B. I ended up with more than I need. Sandoval, Headley, Middlebrooks and Asche were drafted. The trade for Zimmerman gave me five. Middlebrooks and Asche are dropped.

Results: 2nd place, 59.7 pts. based on 2 games. Ryu- 38.8 pts

CBS Asakusabashi Asahi
Since Jurickson Profar-- $11 is injured for three months, I threw him back as a keeper. This left some strong position players-- Wil Myers, $15, Matt Carpenter-- $9, Anthony Rizzo-- $11 and Giancarlo Stanton-- $21, f3. Pitching protections were more speculative-- Taijuan Walker-- $6, Carlos Martinez--$6.

My draft, as with the other leagues tended to ignore stolen bases. Bautista-- $32, Pujols-- $29 and Upton-- $25 were the top dollar picks. Starting pitchers were Razzball influenced. Homer Bailey-- $16 was the only starter over $10. Drafted relievers were all in Eno Sarris' tier 4. Nate Jones-- $11, Fernando Rodney-- $8, John Axford-- $8. $80 pitching vs. $180 hitting is less pitching than in previous years reflecting the strong crop of younger SPs.

The gambit? I threw out Javier Baez at $3 as my last auction selection and was outbid. So, next time around, I threw out Jurickson Profar at $1 and I ended up keeping the keeper at a discount. In the ultra round, I drafted four starting pitchers hoping for some 2-start options. These included three Mets-- Gee, Colon and Wheeler. Then, out of loyalty or a misplaced understanding of his talent level, I added Logan Morrison.  The plan was to draft Dee Gordon and his 3 hits already in the books with my last ultra pick. This didn't work out. Damn Kelly, all to Hell!!! With no one on my draft list, I pulled out the magazines and discovered Kelly Johnson as a MI eligible option to start in place of Profar. Kelly then told me I would be happy with him and his position eligibility. The starting 3B for the Yankees as my MI? Seems like it shouldn't be a problem.

Labels: ,