Friday, February 09, 2007

Ethics, Law and War

A "very damning" report by the Defense Department's inspector general depicts a Pentagon that purposely manipulated intelligence in an effort to link Saddam Hussein to al-Qaida in the run-up to the U.S. invasion of Iraq, says the chairman of the Senate Armed Services Committee...
Robert Burns, AP Military Writer, today's news

The run-up to the war is particularly significant because it laid the shaky foundation for the derelict occupation that followed.
Thomas Ricks, Fiasco:The American Military Adventure in Iraq

Ricks hardly spares the war's civilian architects, but his is the first major book to take on the U.S. military as well. Ricks critiques its acquiescence in the development of the war plan that paid little heed to "Phase IV," the postinvasion activities needed to rebuild a shattered state...
Michael O'Hanlon, Slate Magazine

But what about the hundreds of thousands who simply do as they are ordered and whose actions in some cases destroy a nation, a population, and hundreds of thousands or millions of lives as a result? People whose actions have devastating and long-lasting repercussions? Sometimes they do these things unwittingly, but what I am dealing with here is the question of what happens when they do realize what is happening. Have participants no will of their own? Do they deny that they have free will in this case?
Free Will, Part 2: Support Our Troops by David Byrne

It is cliche to "support the troops" and bad taste to mock people whose life is threatened. But, is it ethical to serve the military once one figures out what is going on?

"There was a long time when I went through depression because I told myself I didn't have a choice," he told New America Media. "That I joined the military and I had only one duty and that was to obey what I was told, regardless of how I felt inside. It really hurt me for a long time because I imprisoned myself by telling myself I didn't have a choice. It didn't matter that I might be sent to prison. I was already in prison, my freedom was already gone.

"When I told myself that I do have a choice, I have a choice to do what is morally right, what is in my conscience, and what I can live with for the rest of my life--even though that comes with consequences, I do have that choice. When I realized that, and when I chose what was right for me, I became free again. And I think everybody has to remember that and to realize that is what is important in life."

Lt. Ehren Watada, quoted in The Nation

The U.S. Army has cobbled together portions of my interview with Lieutenant Watada and these statements comprise the foundation of one charge of conduct unbecoming an officer. To substantiate this alleged crime, the Army has subpoenaed me to testify on behalf of their prosecution.
Sarah Olson, editorial to Editor and Publisher

Sarah Olson, an Oakland journalist, has been subpoenaed by the military. Does the law provide First Amendment rights for a journalist who does not want to testify against a source whom she believes is acting morally?

Olson is scheduled to appear on KALX, Soapbox Derby, on February 22nd, 9 p.m., Pacific. I look forward to the discussion.

Update: The Watada case has been declared a mistrial.
Bay Area Indy Media 2/8/07
More about the resisters

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home