Friday, April 06, 2007

Summer Obsession

I made a few last minute updates to Bashibashi. I am excited about B.J. Upton, my opening day addition. I think he may be this year's Chone Figgins, a player who steals a lot of bases and is eligible at several positions--soon 2B, in addition to 3B. Source.

Players like Rich Aurilia and Ty Wiggington already qualify at multiple positions. But, with Figgins injured, I see Upton as the elite multi-position player for 2007. In the past, I have filled in days off with long lists of players who see only a day or two. I am looking forward to using Upton all season long, assuming he plays as he has this first week. He could soon bat leadoff, giving him even more value. I like to fill every position player roster slot every day, if possible, so that when players miss a day or are injured, the total games still add up to 162. Players always miss days, so having a +3 on my games projected is more of a goal than a concern. If Upton additionally qualifies at OF, that will be a big help, since Bonds and Edmonds are likely to miss games.

I also added David Riske and Al Reyes, two closers who get no love. I grabbed Riske when I read that Octavio Dotel was possibly injured. Dotel pitched just 15 innings in 2005 and 10 horrid innings in 2006. Given the injuries to Dotel in the past, I believe he might miss the entire year, like Eric Gagne in 2006 and Rob Nenn in 2005. I am just speculating, as it took a long time for Kansas City to even put Dotel on the 15 day DL.

Reyes is a veteran who has not been a closer in the past, but he has the Tampa Bay closer job, at least for now. Possession of the closer job is nine tenths of a relief pitcher's value. Riske and Reyes plus Paplebon, Wickman and Benetiz give me five closers. In my type of league, I see no reason not to have five closers (of whatever pedigree), which typically is enough to lead a league in saves.

Kerry Wood went to the DL opening up one of the three spots. Carlos Quentin was injured, so I dropped him. Joel Pineiro lost the closer role, so I dropped him. This allowed me to add Upton, Riske and Reyes.

There have been other roster moves of less significance. Since I have the last waiver pick (number 12), I used it for Dustin Hermanson, whom I thought would close for Cincinnati. He had been successful for the White Sox, so I had confidence in him. Lo and behold, Cincinnati releases Hermanson just before the start of the season. I also picked up Carl Pavano for opening day against the Devil Rays, looking for a likely win. I was fortunate that the Yankees yanked Pavano before he did more than 4 1/3 innings of damage. One strategy is to "pitch and ditch" as I did with Pavano. This often makes sense late in the year, but for now, I would like to give my pitching staff a chance. Felix Hernandez pitched his best game ever. Maybe, the others will too.

Kerry Wood and Mark Prior appear to be the worst picks I made in the draft. So far, both are on the DL, with Prior in the minor leagues. I can afford to be patient, as Bashibashi is off to a good start and Prior still has potential. As Prior was sarcastically quoted, "Do I need to pitch the Futures Game?"

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home