Thursday, June 14, 2007

Notes from an up and coming curmudgeon



Dear Radio Station Morning Guy,
I was listening to K*** this morning, which I generally enjoy. I would like to quibble with some of your program's on-air banter.

While most everyone shares your political belief regarding the president, it is not constructive to deride him in inaccurate ways. If George Bush is using the term, "climate change", it might be for good reason. While "global warming" is the term you prefer, "global warming" is almost a misnomer because while average global temperature is indeed increasing, the variation of temperature is changing more significantly.

Let's put it another way. When most people hear "global warming", they imagine warmer weather, which doesn't sound so bad. "Climate change" more accurately describes the increase in hurricanes, the record highs, AND the record lows that the models predict.

And finally, please don't describe the next cold day or the next hot day as disproof or evidence of "global warming". Unless, one day, the Greenland glacier disappears into the ocean, "climate change" is occurring over decades not days.

Thanks.
--------
My standard rant on media, the evils of at least two political parties, and climate charge, is nicely captured by Richard Power, so I don't have to. Richard offers constructive things you can do. I urge you to whine like me, instead.

I like this link, too. Media ask stupid questions when candidates debate. Ask a stupid question, get a stupid answer. But, I would argue that candidates should be able to answer unfairly phrased questions like "why do you beat your wife?" If they can't, then what are they doing in a debate? If they answer poorly, might they be poor candidates?

I'll conclude with my pet peeve. If the reason you vote is a "Vote 2008" prompt on the bottom edge of your TV screen, then please admit to yourself that TV makes you buy things you don't want, and stay home.
--------

Once I have my curmudgeon skills polished, I'll complain about the beef and broccoli that came when I ordered beef and black bean.

But, the beef and broccoli was so good.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home