Monday, October 15, 2007

Portland's Panacea?

The Cato Institute (Libertarian) not surprisingly is critical of Portland's light rail system. It's slow, expensive, has not relieved congestion, and taxpayers are no longer voting for it. Their point of view is rebutted (sort of) here. Portland's light rail system is popular and cheaper per passenger than buses.

I assume both sides are factually correct. I have a point of view, as well.

When I visited Portland in 2004, the light rail was of zero use to me. I would have liked to use it, but it was miles away, on the other side of the river, in the Yuppie part of town. I still might have used the light rail except that once I was across the river with my car, I could only find short-term metered parking spots, and they were rare. If I had taken the light rail, I would have gotten a parking ticket.

I am pleased that the light rail line connecting downtown Minneapolis to the airport and the Mall of America is popular and cheaper than buses, as is true in Portland. The Hiawatha line is underground at the airport and at the Mall of America, and uses an old rail right of way much of the way. I am afraid that the St. Paul light rail line connecting the two downtowns will be slow, expensive, and will not relieve congestion, as in Portland, since the budget, and federal cost effectiveness measures demand it be entirely at grade. Portland provides no panacea, yet it is often cited as the model for St. Paul's planned light rail system.

I suggest we forget about Portland. Underground subways, such as those in Kyoto, should be the model for St. Paul.

Update:10/24/07, A meeting is held to design the Snelling and Lexington stations. Several people suggest that a park and ride near the Snelling Avenue station would only "encourage more driving." None of these people get on the bus on this nice Fall day to return home. One can only assume that these people drove to the meeting.

Update:10/25/07 A back and forth on the Cato report, and on buses versus rail, etc.

Labels: ,